United Arab Emirates Says 5 Officials Are Among Dead in Afghan Blasts

KABUL, Afghanistan — The United Arab Emirates said on Wednesday that five of its officials were among those killed in explosions at the governor’s compound in the southern Afghan city of Kandahar on Tuesday.

The explosions, believed to have been caused by bombs placed in couches before a reception for the visiting United Arab Emirates ambassador and his delegation, killed at least 11 people and wounded about a dozen. Among the dead were an Afghan senator, a member of the lower house of the Afghan Parliament, Kandahar Province’s deputy governor and an Afghan diplomat to the United States.

The governor of Kandahar Province, Humayoon Azizi, and the ambassador of United Arab Emirates, Juma Mohammed Abdullah al-Kaabi, were wounded, but their injuries were not considered life-threatening, according to Gen. Abdul Raziq, the provincial police chief.

The president of the United Arab Emirates, Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed al-Nahyan, said in a statement that the officials were in Kandahar “to carry out humanitarian, educational and development projects.” He ordered flags to be flown at half-staff for three days of mourning in his country.

General Raziq said that bombs had been placed in the couches in the provincial governor’s house. “Eleven people have been killed,” he said. “The bodies of the dead are badly burned and beyond recognition.”

The explosions in Kandahar capped a bloody Tuesday in Afghanistan. A bombing targeted a meeting of militia commanders in the southern city of Lashkar Gah, killing seven to 11 people, according to various Afghan officials. Hours later, a double bombing that was claimed by the Taliban killed at least 30 and wounded 80 outside the Parliament during the early evening rush hour.